0

Learning to use Data

Well, my reflective post comes today because I start a bit of vacation tomorrow! (insert confetti and party blowouts now!!). OH yeahh. BUT not for another 2 hours. *ahem* 


If there is one thing to take away from school that transfers seamlessly to education and non-profits is evidence-based practices. How do you know what you're doing is having an impact? and if you're not having an impact, then therapist, put your ego to the side and do something different. You too teachers, doctors, and everyone!! ( Wouldn't it be nice if our food industry followed suit...hmmmkay.)


I facilitate an art class -with all the bells and whistles. I closely follow state standards.  If you didn't know though -I'm an art therapist. and it's a good question for people to ask "why you?"  Sometimes I also ask, "why me?"  Hopefully I bring some therapeutic goodness to the space. It's not just about that line or that red hue. It's about feelings. and coping skills. and relationships.  I hope I'm increasing emotional intelligence. Well, hope is not enough


The Silver Drawing Test "use stimulus drawings to elicit responses that provide access to a patient’s emotions and attitudes toward themselves and others, while also testing for the ability to solve problems and convey ideas." - from the psychotherapy arena


I gave this assessment in Fall 2010, and this week the amazing data team put together my numbers. (well, my intern's numbers; she did a great job of scoring). 





I'm still learning to read and interpret the data, and still trying to fully understand this assessment, but I do know how to recognize an increase! Like the above graph - Self Image looks at a scale ranging from the respondent seeming to identify with a subject as sad, helpless, isolated, to a respondent seeming to identify with a subject who is powerful, loved, or achieving goals. 


What's really cool is that one of sub tests looks at concepts that are fundamental in reading. Art improving reading? Hoorraayyy.


I'm kinda excited. Really excited. First it's theory, then it's practice, and then it's theory again. Doing makes understanding that much more solid. I  can go back to the literature and makes sense of the text now.  I look forward to collecting more data, looking at results, and examining my interventions.  

0 comments:

Back to Top