0

Yummy.... Pencils.

I know I'm not the only one who gets excited about a new smooth bright colored sharpie or fresh notebook paper. ahhh. office supplies.  It's back to school time.  Registration begins tomorrow. {eeek!} We're so close to starting. So - that means checkin' on the inventory.

Although I'd rate my skills in organization a 10, I feel very fortunate for my graduate assistant position at Naropa University. One of the incredibly daunting tasks: Stock the Studio.

Inventory is weird, and any art-anybody knows you're working with a maze of things: The budget, distinguishing from cheap and amazing supplies & cheap and..well, cheap supplies, knowing what the hot items are, remembering you keep stuff in that secret cabinet so the students don't go through it too fast....

Here's a peek into my inventory. With good 'ol excel. 

  • All Items are organized and color-coded by their location in the room
  • High Priority, Donation Driven, and Currently in Need are helpful sorters. High priority items are of course the materials I'm constantly evaluating because my students need and use these items often. Donation Driven reminds me of what to ask for.  While anyone can donate anything, these are items that I do not purchase. (Like Magazines). 
  • I write down everything I possibly can about the item. It never fails that I buy something that I didn't want because I forgot the brand or some other small detail. And this is helpful if a volunteer or intern places the order for me. There should be no mistake what I wanted.
  • I have a notes section (not shown) to specify the order and quantity. 

I've been through a few systems. I like this one! 

0 comments:

Back to Top