0

Planning Planning Planning. More Planning.


Whoops! Well, I lost track of time. A one day check-out became a week of intense planning. It's getting that time. We're cranking out lessons, and structures, and processes so that we are good and ready August 20th. And as I actually materialize things, I become more motivated to cross the finish line. Al..mossstt.. theerre.

I'm creating a workbook-style packet for each class. Last year, I passed out lessons as we went, but that turned into quite the challenge. Our students have lots of absences. Maternity leave and baby appointments will do that to yah. We also have open enrollment so students arrive in late October!  It was a struggle making sure students got all of their material.  Gathering documents to catch a student up takes away from  instructional time. I don't want that this time around.  This year, I want everything to be outlined and organized for them... and for me. I love those packets you get at conferences....so why not have 'em for class?!



The Syllabus is looking good. hmm. Maybe I'll post that...!? (In this moment I'm realizing that's an awesome idea.)

I'm also adjusting my ideas for the problem solving/cartography class.  I met with our data people and helped identify the specific items we want to show growth in - which is of course good for me to know because I should probably teach that huh? We decided to focus on Rational Problem Solving Skills. How well can students do the following: 

1. Problem Definition and Formulation: Gather facts, identify obstacles, set specific goals. 
2. Generation of alternative solutions
3. Decision Making: consider & compare consequences
4. Solution Implementation and Verification: practice solution, evaluate, go back & try again. 

Really, this specific data isn't asking if students are able to solve their own challenges. It's asking do they have a framework to solve challenges with?  As I read over the 4 steps, it looked very familiar to me.... hmmm? 

*gasp* It's totally the Choose Your Own Adventure Series!!

Yeah. It's going down. Art ...Choose Your Own Adventure..problem solving....map making.....something....Group ..I'm figuring it out. 

I still think making Personal Geographies is a fantastic idea and may use later, but it doesn't quite meet the specific need I'm attempting to address.   

Whew! it's busy over here. Hope yall are well in the middle of July! 

0 comments:

Back to Top